Winning your property tax appeal
Minnesota is said to have the most complex property tax system in the country! Five points to keep in mind when dealing with the assessor, board of appeal and equalization or tax court:
1. Whining doesn't work. It just makes them mad.
2. Don't talk to them about your property TAXES. They can only change your property tax ASSESSMENT and CLASSIFICATION. Property Classification can impact your property taxes MORE than the valuation. Tax rates range from .55% to 4%+.
3. Assessors don't need to defend their values. The Taxpayer has the burden of proof to show the assessed value and/or classification is incorrect.
4. Today's values don't matter. Your current assessed value is based on market activity two years ago.
5. The tax appeal processes are unforgiving. You miss a deadline or make a mistake and you lose your right to appeal.
Are your property taxes too high? • Winning your property tax appeal • Broken Promises: Why do property tax appeals fail to reduce your taxes? • Appraisal Services • Who is Land for Sale, Inc.? • Here's the Dirt - Newsletter • Tax Appeal Success Stories • Minnesota's Property Tax System: A Quiz
Land For Sale, Inc. •
© Copyright 2006-2007 Land For Sale, Inc. All Rights Reserved.